Tuesday, June 28, 2011

RWA NY 2011 Tuesday

I've always liked RWA. Flying off to cities I normally wouldn't go to, eating chicken, suffering in upteenth zillionth heat--and being normal. I know normal is relative, but being surrounded by 2000 other people who think just like me is pretty damned cool.

I've never wanted to go to New York, but now that I'm here, it's not so bad. Laguardia was so dinky-small it made Milwaukee look good. Broken tile, potholes, cracked mirrors in the bathrooms. The stall was so small I had to hang my carry-on from a peg so I could put my feet down. And it took more than 2 hours to travel the eight miles to the hotel. Around and around and around, passing the same Europa cafe. I'm still trying to figure out why, but I'm damned grateful I took the shuttle.

There was trash everywhere. In the roads, in the gutters, around the trash cans and under the overpasses. And the pigeons were black. Not gray or white, but soot-black. I thought they were crows or grackles until I took a second look. And they were opening bags! Pigeons are stupid. What's up with that? Maybe NY has intelligent pigeons, I dunno.

I found Jax and MG and they talked me into going for a walk. We got lost, but we had a good time.

I can't seem to load pictures. In the middle of the "greatest" city on earth I have less connectivity than I did in Orlando. There are huge dead spots.

We walked all up and down Times Square and I took lots of pictures, which I might have to wait to post. Tonight? The autographing.

No comments: