Monday, January 4, 2010

Rain? It's probably an omen

It rained all day. Big, fat, cold drops--"sideways" big, fat, cold drops. Typical Seattle. I looked like I'd just moved here, carrying my umbrella around while the locals walked around in flip-flops and hoodies, drenched to their lips.

School is hard to get around, and parking is horrible. By the time I got to class, I was huffing and puffing--uphill, downhill, down this alley, up that alley. So many trees, so many squirrels. So many people who don't understand basic hygiene.

Take a bath! Cover your mouth when you cough. Didn't your momma teach you better?

I sat in front of a woman, you know the kind of woman--who kept saying, "excuse me, teacher???" And behind a woman who'd start conversations, cut off halfway through and turn to talk to someone else only to zone out.

I know it's all up in my head, but--English is bothering me. It hasn't really started yet, and I know I'm supposed to devote x-amount of time a week, but...I've got so many hot-buttons. Peer review. Peer group. Discussion boards. Discussion groups. Helping to edit and revise "other" people's work?

It bothers me I'm having the same knee-jerk reaction I had when I was nineteen. I've put so much time into this program, I'm not willing to give up. I need chocolate and caffeine.

4 comments:

Michelle (MG) Braden said...

Today it wasn't my Google Reader that brought me here, but my Google Alert that told me that you said I need to update!

Well, yes. Yes, I do. 2009 was not a good year for me. I will try to do better this year. :-)

Happy New Year, Cup!

PS: Yes, people need basic hygiene and I hate that one person who asks questions every two minutes. "So, like, if a verb is an action word, like, what kind of actions can we use?" *eyeroll*

Unknown said...

lol, MG--I couldn't stop laughing. Thanks!! :)

Yes, I did say you needed to update more. Hmmmmm....random thought? Maybe I should add that into other people's links too? Maybe I can prod update into existence, you think?

Future director, I "know" you're going to have a better year. Hell, I'll buy you a drink in Nashville and help pass out flyers.

yeah...*sigh* I'm not enjoying school. It's probably just the subjects. Nothing good, just required. :(

deanna said...

Rain, chocolate, and caffeine seem to be what I'm living on. I hope your overly-filled hours will give you some bright moments, some breath-catching, some people near you who've bathed!

Unknown said...

You and me both, Deanna. :) I hope you get a lot of writing done.