Friday, July 24, 2009

A bit of refocusing

I am probably the most self-absorbed person in the world. I go along, doing this, doing that--up on my soapbox about whatever craft issue bothers me, and down again.

Last year, I spent a month on single title versus category, did eight posts on character arcs of all sorts, and that doesn't include the week I spent on internal dialog and various structures.

I always wanted to be a food blogger, but I don't eat anywhere interesting. I'm not a mommy blogger, except in an oblique way, and I don't take a lot of pictures unless I run into a cathedral or something.

So after a lot of thought, I've decided to give fair warning. If you read me for stuff about writing, look for the posts sub-titled Running in the Dark. I'm not the most consistent everyday poster, but I do post at least a few times a week, and one of my soon to be permanent things is a Wednesday--is Wednesday overdone? I'm not sure.

A Wednesday craft focus. Either an interview with a fabulous teacher, or maybe a wonderful reviewer--a bookseller? Or somebody who developed a great whatever I can find. Because craft of writing isn't just writing, but a lot of things. Or maybe I'll just jump up on my soapbox (the blue one for everyday use) and go off on a tangent.

So...I know people hate being asked, but if anyone has something interesting they want to discuss? Random questions? I like random questions.

If you like me-the-person and thrill to my amazing adventures in the frozen food section of Asian markets, there won't be sub-titles. I haven't figured out what to call the cathedral pictures, but that's just something I do because I like churches. I'm fascinated by the doors. Whether or not they're open, and if they invite people inside. Maybe that says something, but I'm not sure what.

I didn't get a chance to see the National Cathedral. I'll have to do it next time I'm on the East Coast, but I have plans to go down to Tacoma next Monday. There's a spire I can see from I-5, and I want to find it.

8 comments:

Alice Audrey said...

I'm looking forward to your Wednesdays.

Eva Gale said...

I'll be waiting with popcorn.

Kaige said...

I don't always comment, but I enjoy it all!

Random question: What do you suggest doing to deepening emotional punch in scenes? Especially if you're not an expressive person yourself and are afraid it will come out too purple or melodramatic.

Unknown said...

lol, Alice and Eva, if we were all in person, I'd...uh, probably scare you as much as I scared people at Nationals. Although I don't think I'm that scary--only...manic? Manic is a good word.


Kaige, bless you for your question.
Happy divaversary btw, I saw your thread, went off to do homework and it disappeared, because people probably stopped saying congratulations. Congratulations.

I think...I should do that one soon, because I already have some Wednesday's lined up.

Jeanna said...

You do make your adventures thrilling and I think you'd make an amazing food blogger.
Saw a postcard you might like, a series of what looked like Romance novel art but about stuff like weed and such.

Kaige said...

Cool, looking forward to Wednesdays.

I'm also looking forward to Aug 20 and the week after: get my school time routine back in place again!

Unknown said...

lol, Jeanna. Romance and weed, I can feel the blurb coming. "The brilliant, busty and beauteous Jane was TRAPPED by the Killer Weed, and only the hero (John) could save her!"

In bright red letters on a black background with some yellow (and a gun, and a sixties style heroine with her hand to her heaving bosoms.) :) Damn, I wanted to work the heaving bosoms in there, but it didn't flow. *sigh*

Kaige, school is neverending with me. I'm looking forward to the end of summer quarter. :)

Alice Audrey said...

Manic? Pft!!! More simply forceful.