Sunday, December 2, 2007

Talking to the wall

...part of my Christmas job is trouble-shooting management problems. I have no clue how I got into it, but I go around and try to talk people into being better managers. With a piece of paper, three colors of sticky notes and a handful of stolen pens, I can fix most problems.

I spent a good portion of my stay at my real-job learning to train others while I did management training. I dipped out of management, and in a way it was a good thing, because I never burned out. I still have all those Deming-esque ideals, and Total Quality Management sayings stuffed up where the light don't shine. I live the talk for two months every year, and I think that's my limit--but some people don't, never had, never will and really don't care.

I'm pretty sure I wasted my day--what little there is of it--trying to turn around a micro-manager. It can be done, but it'll take more than the three weeks left in the season. I'm going to go back to my proof-reading and get a nap. I think I deserve one.

3 comments:

Jennifer McKenzie said...

You do. But maybe all that stuff you "wasted your time on" will penetrate for next year.
Micromanagers are a pain in the ass.
I know. I is one.

Unknown said...

lol--hopefully. But I doubt it. I got lunch out of it, so that's a good thing. :)

Anonymous said...

I never micromanage. Now if only I could convince my son of that.