Saturday, October 27, 2007

Karma...?

Karma--what is it and how can I get some? Cowboy believes in karma. His blog is called Instant Karma. Not that he ever updates it or anything--which probably says something deep and profound, but probably just means he’s busy.

Somebody once told me--and damned if I can remember who it was--that once you hit a certain point, you want to give back. Maybe that’s karma. I don’t know. If karma means wanting to help others like you were helped, then yeah--I’m brushing up on good deeds.

Back when I was down on my belly and trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with my writing, Gina gave me a hand up. She didn’t have to do that enormously detailed crit or give me lectures on “how” and “what the hell are you thinking?” She’s got kids and church--and on top of that, she writes. And paints. She’s always painting something or other. Usually a room.

But like that guy in Pay it Forward. I go along paying my debts forward in the hopes that maybe someone will do the same, and the built up karma will ripple outward and make somebody happy, like GrimJack in the Demon Wars story arc--maybe there’ll be a pocket dimension where stuff goes right instead of wrong, and the demons stay outside.

Karma’s not good for the flu, *big gagging cough* But I think it helped when I got lost last night, driving down this enormously deserted road into reservoir territory, and it was dark and there were no streetlights. My boss called and asked where I was, and gave me directions.

Maybe I had a few glittery bits left.

3 comments:

Jennifer McKenzie said...

Totally with you on this one. I try and pay it forward with other writers who have helped me in the last year. It's not all about scrambling to what ever goal I'm shooting for. It's also about putting out a hand to those still struggling with the first steps behind me.
That's why I love Divas.
Karma is good, but maybe not for the flu. Take care of yourself, Cup.

Kaige said...

As someone who has benefited from your efforts, I hope you feel better soon! Yay! for the boss calling at the right time. Yer good peoples, Cup!

Unhinged said...

Would someone share the Diva website? Jodi? You might have already on the NaNoWriMo site, but waiting for that site to load is putting ants in my pants. Drives me nuts.

That said, I totally believe in karma. What comes around, goes around. Have you ever seen that Liberty Mutual commerical? It's all about paying it forward. Puts a lump in my throat every time I see it.

Dang it! I was going to share the link with you, but they've changed it, darn their hides.