Thursday, March 23, 2023

Understand and use character arc with Jodi Henley

 If you follow me on Facebook, you probably know I had a life-changing event last year. It gave me lots of time to think about life and what I wanted to do> People always say they want to do this and that, but between one thing and the other, it all gets sidelined. Bills, kids, significant life events. I've been running all out for the last fifteen years and while I work better with deadlines, it's been a revelation without them. I mean, what I want to do has always been buried by what I should do. I like edits--I wasn't sure if I did because it's a job and how many people like what they do? But it's like working on cars. I like tinkering, and if I were a guy with a mancave, it'd be one of those garages with a refrigerator, a couple of chairs and a fancy floor lift where I'd leave the door open and people would drop in so we could talk muscle cars and mess with Hemi air filters. I miss teaching and the need to explain is killing me, so I set up a couple of workshops with savvyauthors. The first link has just gone live (it's in May (the other two are in July (How to see and use structure) and November (Practical Emotional Structure, totally FREE) . But if you'd like to work on your character arc, or need a little help, or just want my brand new "Magic worksheets" with an extra week of support to get them done or get some one on one personalized time, come see me :)

It's cheap if you belong to Savvy and comes with a coupon if you don't. 

Solidify your plotting and add emotional resonance with a strong character arc. Hands on and immediately actionable, this workshop comes with two simple lessons, three easy to use worksheets, and lots of feedback by a developmental editor who has worked on hundreds of stories. If your arc is broken, let’s fix it!

  • The simple three point structure of a character arc.
  • How to “see” and use the character arc for plotting and to add emotional resonance.
  • Worksheet 1: Pinpoint and “see” the character arc in your story
  • Worksheet 2: Use your character’s arc to tighten, fix or solidify your plot.
  • Worksheet 3: Use your character’s arc for deeper emotional resonance
  • Bonus worksheet: Use your character’s arc to set up for a multi-book series

No comments: