Thursday, February 27, 2014

Come talk to me and enter a drawing for a free four hour block of developmental edits 2/28

I'm in this sale. It's my very first group sale, and I was (and still am) a little freaked out. Bryan has got to be the most gung-ho detail-oriented organizer I've ever had the pleasure to meet, which fits, since he does books on writing prompts. And, I don't. I've always wanted to be once of those writers with a tidy wooden desk, fancy green lamp and nice mahogany bookcase. The bookcase...well, one day I'll get one in IKEA mahogany, but the tidy desk escapes me. When I'm working, I have drifts of paper so high they stratify. Phone numbers, notes, candy wrappers and water rings. I'm lucky I don't have bugs because three days into a project I've got plates piled on my computer like I'm having a garage sale.

Today (Friday the 28th), in addition to my first sale (may it be the first of many) I'm also holding my first giveaway. It'd be great if you swung over and liked my "Hi! I'm Jodi" status on FB (you might have to scroll looking for it, I don't have anything direct yet although I'll try to get the link fixed once I do), but...yeah, well. I fought FB for years and I know what it's like to "not" have a facebook account.

Which means if you leave a comment on my blog, you'll also be entered into my contest. I'm giving away a free four hour block of developmental/content edits, which you can use for yourself, give to a friend or giveaway in your own contest (must be used by RWA nationals). Four hours is a decent chunk of time and I can do a partial, show you how to fix whatever an editor wants you to fix (from a request and revision letter, although I'd have to see the letter), tidy up a project you sold on proposal (this doesn't mean full-blown track changed edits, but a nice solid editorial letter), or just fix something that feels off. Maybe people say your heroine is unlikeable, or your hero has all the motivation of a turnip--I'm there for you.

Or if you just want to talk? I'm here from 6-11 PST and 9-1 EST. I have no problem helping you trouble shoot your wip. And it's a lot easier to do here, rather than in a FB status.

Oh! And I almost forgot I had a picture. It's pretty and shiny, and I'm having this incredible urge to frame it. *sniffle*

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jodi! How are you? It looks pretty busy there on FB. :)

Unknown said...

So, I took myself over there, logged in for the first time in MONTHS... and had a ball. Some great questions, lots of tips and reminders (esp. on conflicting motivations), and I'm excited all over again about my WIP. First draft finished (the only way to do it is to fast draft, I've discovered!), and now it's time for the re-write. Just have to get over the nervousness about looking at the ms again...

Jodi Henley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Lot of action going on at the event. Thanks for the slides. :)

Unknown said...

Lisa! Thanks for dropping by:) I know you can do it, and you can always drop by (email me, I'm easier to reach that way (nowadays. whew...never thought I'd say that)

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your support! I really means a lot to me:)

Unknown said...

You're very welcome, Elizabeth! I was so glad to see you there, and I really appreciated the thumbs up!!! (I don't have enough exclamation points, lol) Thank you!

Jeannine Everet said...

Meeting you was one of the highlights of the day. I've already read your book and creating a stronger foundation through backstory. My background is in consumer behavior, but as a writer my past life often goes out the window (repression, I suppose). When you suggested we think about our reader (customer) and their emotional ladders, it was like a light bulb went off. Cue forehead smack.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Jeannine!! You're right--readers are customers. :) That's my background, too. You can't have repeat clientele and a strong customer base without customer service that goes above and beyond expectations. Knowing what those expectations are helps a lot. I'm glad you liked the book! If you're not on my arc list (I'd normally know, but it's been a long week and I'm still catching up, sorry!), make sure to send me your email and I'll put you on the list for free pdfs or .mobis.

I'm super glad I met you!! Thanks for attending the event!