Friday, August 9, 2013

Practical Emotional Structure, Free today 8/9

...you know, just in case you missed it last time, or a friend wanted it, or you just want to admire the zeros after the phrase, "kindle price" (which I totally do sometimes--no clue why).

You can download it here.  It's only on Amazon right now, since it's still in the KDP program.

I've been thinking about KDP as it gets closer to expiring. On one hand, it's not a miracle drug like it used to be, but for me at least--Amazon is still the major player. My sales, downloads, freebies, whatever I'm doing on any other platform are nothing compared to Amazon. It kind of reminds me of the whole VCR/beta thing. My dad always told me beta was the better video recorder, but people bought VCRs--which made VCRs dominate the market. It doesn't matter how great my kid thinks the Nook platform is, my sales there are stagnant, and I never hear the word, "Nook" in normal conversation. I have a kindle, and one day I'll get a paperwhite since I always wanted to read in the dark.

Over the course of the last couple of months, being geeky and stuff--I've been looking at other people in my slider bar (that thing under your book at Amazon that says "people who bought this book also bought") and I found this woman who publishes every single one of her blog posts, three to five pages, as individual ebooks. On one hand, I love the idea--it gets your name out, blankets the slider bar and makes you look like a writing churnado, but on the other hand, I couldn't force myself to pay .99-5.00 for a couple of pages.

A couple of years back, I paid two bucks for an Amazon short (little articles by famous writers), so I know people do, but for some reason I hit that wall of no, I don't think so really hard. Yesterday, a reader said she couldn't understand why anyone paid for books anymore, and I wonder if there are still more shifts in the way people read and buy books building up, even in the people who write them.

No comments: