Sunday, May 18, 2008

Integration is reaching saturation point...

lol--back when I first got the editing job, and I'm damned grateful to them for taking me on--I was very careful to keep it quiet. They ask that you pick a pseudonym because--hey, we're writers, and it creates a conflict of interest when a writer has...uhm, writing friends. And in the beginning it was easy. I had to consciously turn it on.

Writing and editing are close, but not quite.

I started it to strengthen my writing, and in a couple of weeks I'll be slogging my way through a grammar refresher course. I've learned a lot, but I don't have the hubris to think I know everything there is to know about comma placement. I'm stronger from a structural viewpoint, and I like to think my layering and subtext are good.

Kimberly once asked me--no, she asked me twice, and that's what got me to thinking--how I switched from writing to editing, and the first answer was; I went to sleep or did something to "end" whatever I was doing at the time. Recently, she asked me again, and the answer was--I bring up the correct file.

The writer-side of me is almost totally integrated with the editor-side.

I'm not a big fan of writing rejection letters because hey--been there, done that from the query-side, and sometimes I want to scream because track changes? There's only one word/phrase, whatever--for track changes. P.I.A. I enjoy my job, and there's a lot to be said for working someplace you like.

But I need to stop using the wrong google account to comment. The picture is wrong--although if you find it? The info is right. :)

5 comments:

Kimberly Farris said...

I'm so glad I read this before I emailed you because I was going to ask you how you transition from editor to writer. I'm back drinking Vault again so my lapses in memory should decrease.

Unhinged said...

Vault? (I have bad memory lapses, maybe I ought to Google this.)

Oh, and dang! I was too slow the other day to see the Editor you comment.

Unknown said...

My kid and I had a long discussion about energy drinks. He thinks my current AMP addiction is very wimpy. I need some more is all I can say.

ha! See--you did only see the words and hear me. You didn't pay attention to who was saying it, lol. That's what I thought happened. It almost went by me too. I think I have to delete comments some place in bloggerland at least twice a week.

Anonymous said...

Now you've got me curious.

Unknown said...

lol, Alice. People see what they want to see. I guess my blogging voice is very strong. :)