Saturday, August 4, 2007

Lime Jello, movies, book trailers and a really good book I read...

I think gelatin desserts are hardwired into my genetic code. I mean why else would I go crazy at the word, "seafoam gelatin mold"? I love seafoam. I had to have some. You know--THAT dessert? The green one with the multi-layers of sour cream, pineapple-studded goodness? Every slice is like five desserts in one, starting with the bottom, cottage-cheesy layer. Not everyone shares my fondness for sixties-era Joy of Jello kitsch. But I got to re-reading my old cookbooks, and whoa--hadn't remembered the 10 layer special. I spent hours (well, hours all total, more like ten whole minutes of pouring and mixing, but you have to wait with Jello. All good things take time to set, even if you use ice-cubes to speed it up)making this towering 9x13 pan of rainbow colored Jello all separated by ivory streamers.

...all the better for edits. I've been popping caffeinated mints like crazy. I want to shelve the addiction and get with the sugar.

Last time I was on RD, I looked at Jen's book trailer. Never paid much attention to trailers before, but--it surprised me. The last one I'd checked out had been done in "slide-show" mode, more like a Powerpoint presentation. It probably was Powerpoint, lol.

But it got me to thinking it's a short skip to the whole "mini-movie" thing. Action and everything. Sort of like those previews you get when you sit down in a theatre. If we could only get everything to move, or some impression of movement. I dunno...a real-short, action-packed minute of pounding music, quick cutaways and voice-over? Got to think about it...er, after the edits. Diane had a great idea with that whole give-away CD. That was one move I didn't see coming. Why not a CD with your book (a couple of books?) a few trailers and some promo material? It's easy to do, costs pennies(if you have Lightscribe, it's even better!) and I can see myself handing them out instead of bookmarks. "Hi there! Have a CD, yeah--it's got my book on it, AND just for you, I chucked in some recipes. Bet you didn't know how to make Seafoam Jello..."

Anyway...I had a little down time where I couldn't think and picked up a book I'd started before my vacation. Ilona Andrews, Magic Bites. It started off kind of blah...sort of paranormal meets end of the world as we know it, crossed with a little vampire/werewolf action, and I wasn't impressed. But...I didn't want to get into anything I'd have to read through to the end. I didn't put that thing down for three hours. It was good. Really really good. And it resonated for days. (bad images, she's damned graphic) But wow. I'd like to read the next one. She took that whole shapeshifter mythos sideways. Like James Patterson meets Kelly Armstrong.

Very nice.

I'm head and torso out of the pit, and moving fast. Time for another bowl of Seafoam.

2 comments:

Jennifer McKenzie said...

You know, that's a GREAT promo idea!!!!
And I saw a competition for booktrailers on MySpace which DID have action video. (Not photos like mine).
Very interesting.
Um, I'd love the jello recipe's even though I'm not a big fan.
I hate waiting for anything. LOL.

Unknown said...

hey, Jen--you really want that recipe? It's a big pain.

but...(er, I substitute the real Jello for the sugar free, and sour cream for the yogurt, I'm not much on low-calorie :)

6-1/4 cups boiling water, divided
3 pkg. (4-serving size each) JELL-O Brand Cherry Flavor Sugar Free Low Calorie Gelatin, divided
1 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt, divided
2 pkg. (4-serving size each) JELL-O Brand Lime Flavor Sugar Free Low Calorie Gelatin, divided



STIR 1-1/4 cups of the boiling water into 1 package of the cherry gelatin in small bowl at least 2 min. until completely dissolved. Pour 3/4 cup of the dissolved gelatin into 8-cup ring mold sprayed with cooking spray. Refrigerate 15 min. or until gelatin is set but not firm (sticks to finger when touched). Refrigerate remaining gelatin in bowl 5 min. or until slightly thickened (consistency of unbeaten egg whites). Gradually stir in 3 Tbsp. of the yogurt; spoon over gelatin in mold. Refrigerate 15 min. or until gelatin is set but not firm (should stick to finger when touched).
REPEAT process with each remaining gelatin flavor, alternating red and green colors each time. (Be sure to cool dissolved gelatin to room temperature before pouring into mold.) Refrigerate gelatin as directed to create a total of 10 alternating clear and creamy gelatin layers.
REFRIGERATE 2 hours or until firm. Unmold. Cut into 16 slices to serve. Store leftover gelatin mold in refrigerator.

ahh...I'll have to look for those trailers. Thanks!!